Very few things stress me out and make me feel self-conscious more than having bad skin. That’s why I take great pride in taking good care of my skin, as we all should. My skin is by no means perfect, but I am lucky to feel comfortable going out with no makeup on.
Going into my sophomore year of high school, my skin broke out like crazy and my face was always very shiny. Up to that point I had never dealt with any skin problems and rarely even washed my face. It was a new and scary experience. Nothing kills your self-esteem like a forehead of zits so bad that you have to go see a dermatologist.
It took me months of trying different skincare products which didn’t work and gave me extremely dry skin until I found products that finally helped me clear up my breakouts. Five years later, I still use the same exact face wash as I did before.
Even though I went to a dermatologist for help, all of my favorite skincare products can be found at a local drugstore. Don’t give into the hype of expensive beauty products, because there are amazing skincare lines out there at an affordable price. Here’s a look at my skincare must-haves.
- Make-Up Removal Wipes: Every girl needs to own these, they are so convenient. I buy a cheap generic brand, but it all works the same. Although you really should wash your face in the morning and at night, if you get too lazy (or maybe had too much drink) to wash your face at nighttime, at least make sure to wipe off all your makeup…you and your skin will thank you the next morning.
- Neutrogena Visibly Even Foaming Cleanser: I know everyone’s skin is different, but this face wash I found works best for me. It clears up my breakouts, moisturizes my skin, and evens out my tone. I really try to avoid using any other cleanser and have noticed my skin doesn’t react well to anything else. Like I said before, try to wash your face twice a day.
- Neutrogena Blackhead Eliminating Scrub: Blackheads are gross so whenever I notice my pores getting pretty clogged, I start using this scrub once every other day. After a week, you see much less blackheads.
- EOS (Egg) Lipbalm: I’m obsessed with this chapstick! Can’t go anywhere without it, and love all the different flavors it now comes in. The only downside is the shape makes it hard to put in your pocket. Wah!
- Neutrogena Visibly Even Daily Moisturizer: This is a very light moisturizer that doesn’t make you shiny like a lot of other lotions. I’m also a big fan of wearing moisturizer that contains sunscreen so my skin is protected at all times and this moisturizer has spf 30.
- Olay Regenerating Serum: This one is a little bit pricier, but a steal compared to serums found in department stores. My mom has been using it for years to get rid of lines and firm up her skin so over winter break I started using it to see if it would do anything with my skin. It’s my absolute favorite skincare product at the moment. Not only have I found my skin feel tighter, but it works great as a moisturizer and a good, even base under your makeup. I know this product may be targeted towards older women, but what’s wrong with taking care of your skin earlier so you can avoid aging effects for later?
I’ve tried expensive skincare products before but I actually prefer the products listed above and I highly suggest trying them out. But with every skincare product, stay consistent. If you maintain a consistent skin regimen, you can easily have the skin to make you feel confident enough to not wear make-up! What are some of your favorite cheap skincare products?
By the way, I know I’ve been very absent from my blog lately and I apologize! Second semester is kicking my butt. Being a full-time student, working for my university’s newspaper, and serving at a restaurant have been way harder than I thought. I’m working on getting better at my time-management so I can post more often for you guys.